Census 2021 Arrives In Wokingham
This week marks the official start of the census in Wokingham Borough. Between 3rd – 12th March all households across Wokingham Borough will receive an information pack containing their unique 16-digit access code to complete the census online.
The census is a survey that happens every 10 years and gives us a detailed picture of all the people and households in England and Wales. All kinds of organisations, from Wokingham Borough Council to charities, use the information to help provide the services we all need, including transport, education and healthcare.
Anything you put in your census response is kept anonymous for 100 years and does not affect benefits or immigration status.
The census can be completed as soon as the pack is received, as long as you know where you will be on census day – 21st March. It will take approximately 10 minutes to complete for each person who lives there. If you can’t complete the census online then a paper version can be ordered.
There is a wide range of support available to help complete the census, whatever your needs.
- help for anyone over the phone – call 0800 141 2021
- online information and web chat at www.census.gov.uk
- online guidance and support in many languages (hyperlink to https://census.gov.uk/help/languages-and-accessibility/languages) or by calling the language helpline on 0800 587 2021
- a paper version of the questionnaire, if you prefer, can be ordered online (hyperlink to https://census.gov.uk/) or by calling 0800 141 2021
- accessible census guidance, for example, in braille, large print and easy-read (hyperlink to https://census.gov.uk/help/languages-and-accessibility/accessibility)
There are also a number of Census Support Centres for those who prefer in-person support. Currently, due to Covid restrictions, they are only available to assist by telephone, but as restrictions change you should be able to visit them too. Anyone can call or email to make an appointment and they will talk you through the form as you complete it, whether you wish to do it online or have a paper version.
- Current information about locations, opening times and services is available on the census website here https://census.gov.uk/en/find-a-support-centre/
Up-to-date information about Census 2021 in Wokingham Borough can be found here:
- Twitter: @CensusBFRW
Jeremy May, Census Engagement Manager, for Wokingham Borough said “Census 2021 will be crucial in giving a snapshot of life in Wokingham Borough during an unprecedented time. It’s vital that everyone completes the census so that we can plan the services required to rebuild our local economy and services after Covid-19”.